SC - New Book

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Oct 16 17:52:26 PDT 2000

>Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the book store I read a
>review of a new foodie book!  The review is in the latest issue of the
>"Economist" Oct. 14 thru 20th.  The title "Pickled, Potted and Canned: The
>Story of Food Preservation" by Sue Shepard.  If I read the blurb right its
>published by Headline and runs 368 pages and 15.99 pounds.

I got that one from Amazon.co.uk a few days ago but since I was leaving for
Budapest the next morning and just got back tonight  I haven´t had time to
really look at it yet. Looks very interesting, though. (And any book that
quotes a poem by Spike Milligan has to be fun to read, if nothing else.)
However, there are two references to Icelandic food in the book and one is
incorrect, the other rather fuzzy. But I´ll let you know when I´ve had time
to read more of the book.

Trouble is, I´ve got so many interesting books I want to read just now - I
came home from Budapest loaded with cookbooks in six languages (three of
whom I can actually read but I´m trying to master the ingredients lists in
the recipes in the other books).

By the way, if anyone should ever go to Budapest, you might want to try a
small restaurant called Barokk Étterem - they mostly serve dishes made from
18th century recipes, the restaurant is decorated in a baroque style and the
waiters are dressed accordingly. I had breast of pheasant in a spicy fruit
sauce - quite tasty, if slightly dry, and the sauce was very good. And I saw
several interesting dishes on the menu.

Nanna