SC - Rellenos with beef?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 16 20:55:15 PDT 2000

Adamantius answered me with:
> What I ended up doing, after several different permutations, was to roll
> a ball of the cheese filling into a 1-inch wide strip of the roasted,
> skinned, seeded poblano. These were able to be gently pressed into a
> uniform shape looking a bit like chunk of norimaki sushi, which held
> their shape pretty well when chilled a bit. I think I stuck little
> cilantro sprigs in each, and sat them on top of a puddle of pureed
> chipotles in adobo, which had been beaten up with a little olive oil to
> kill some of the heat.

This sounds like some Chilli Rellenos I've had. Slices of pepper wrapped
around soft cheese and then battered and fried. But yours were smaller and
you didn't batter yours, correct?

> > And I imagine it is post 1600, but what exactly does "hors d'ouvre"
> > really mean? Besides tiny and expensive? :-)
>
> Literally, outside of the work. Although hors d'oeuvre can function as
> an appetizer, they often (and did, originally, prolly in the early
> nineteenth century) are eaten with drinks before a dinner or other meal.
> Consequently they show up a lot at cocktail parties, and normally aren't
> technically part of the meal, which will have a separate first course.

Ok, yours and the definition Ras gave are pretty close. What is the
definition of "appetizer" then? What you describe is what I thought
an appetizer was. So are appetizer and hors d'oeure just different
terms for the same thing? Appetizer sounds a lot more precise. Sounds
like someone just wanted to create a "high falutin' term" to make
things sound fancier.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net