SC - munchies or side dish

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 17:47:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/17/00 9:00:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> Can I ask a stupid question: why is it so offensive that at a gathering
>  where people are not expected to wear period clothing, period food might
>  not be the only thing served?>>

Where did it say in the previous post that period clothing was not expected?
We always dress in garb or recommend that people where garb for our fighter
'practices since fighter practices are official SCA gatherings and come under
the auspices of Corpora.

<<there is no harm in an informational meeting/cookout, especially if someone
brings a sampling of GOOD period nibbles for people to try.>>

No disagreement there. We often have 'bring a dish to pass' get togethers for
new comers. Shire folks dress in garb, bring their projects or interests and
it is a casual time where folks get to know each other. Oftentimes these
gatherings include fighting and archery.

<< But at a party? >>

The activity was listed as a fighter practice, not a party. Anyway, our shire
has weekly fighter practices and folks just stop at a local eatery afterwards
if they are hungry so what to serve on such occasions is really a moot point
from here. My suggestions were merely suggestions.

Yes, I do warn new comers that what they are perceiving as SCA at new comer
gatherings may not be what they will see at events if the activities are
obviously modern and fall outside the scope of Corpora. Gaining members
through deception is not the way to go.

Locally we try to take new members to events at Silver Rhyll or Eisenthal for
their first events if we are not having our own at the time. Both those
shires seem to have a nice atmosphere which is perfect for a new comers first
event.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol