SC - Worst feast ever...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Oct 17 22:34:53 PDT 2000

Phlip detailed a recent feast and commented:
> The noodles were served seperately, and almost edible, but at that point I
> had entirely lost my appetite. I think they were boxed fettuchine.....

Oh, Yuck. The type of noodles you use can really affect the taste of
a dish.

My company cafeteria was for a while making a pretty nice Pho Bok soup.
This is basically a North Vietmanese beef soup with white (rice?) noodles,
strips of beef (sometimes meatballs or tripe, but not at Motorola),
mint?
cilantro? some quite hot greenish peppers and some other things.
Basically,
a one bowl meal.

After a while the pair of lime slices became a single lemon slice. Then a
few weeks ago they served it with spagetti noodles instead of the
white ones. The give away should have been that the plastic packages
of white noodles which they used to decorate the serving area with
were missing. *I* didn't discover the switch until I started eating.
This substitution really affected both the taste and texture of the
dish.

I have found a nice lunch spot that serves bigger bowls of Pho Bok
and in a variety of versions for less money, but it is several
miles from the plant so I can't get there as often. This is the same
place I mentioned earlier when I talked about their fish cooked in
a clay pot. Sigh. I'm making myself hungry. :-9

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net