SC - Apples?

Hoon, Twila HOONTW at libra.unm.edu
Wed Oct 18 22:59:14 PDT 2000

I have a question for the list - and, with this many people, figure I'll get
an answer. :)

I was reading something about apples, and realized that most of the variety
I commonly use are new world or Aussie/NZ breeds.  What was the common
size/shape/flavor of the medieval European apple?  What of the modern,
easily available apples, most approximates it?

Additionally, does anybody have a period reference to baked whole or
quartered apples that remain "apple shaped" as opposed to apple sauce /
apple moy (sp?)?

With thanks,

Sabia