SC - Re: kids in kitchen,

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 06:07:56 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/19/00 7:40:15 AM, dminmin at hotmail.com writes:

>Answer from the kingdom seneshal:
>There is no Atlantian law re: children in the Kitchen.

Sounds like someone overeacting due to a bad happening. This is a common
occurence in the SCA. The next time someone tells you that no kids are
allowed, ask their parents if it is okay and make sure the  minor waiver is
signed .

This is enough to satisfy the "rule" makers.

And I heartily encourage you to continue to teach the children.....the
youngest child I have taught in an SCA kitchen has been 4 (she had minimal
hand to eye coordination, but she loves to mix things. I gave her tasks that
I knew she could handle and were not time sensitive to me. And the funniest
thing.....Her parents said she ate everything at the feast saying "I made
this, or I saw how they make this". She ATE everything, not bad for a "picky"
eater.

It takes alot of patience and you must be concise with your directions, but a
happy kitchen it will be. I like to have (medieval or Renaissance) music, and
I encourage chatter as well. I learn from them as well. (Pokemon, BackStreet
Boys, Britney, their families,etc.) It's amazing what they talk about.

Andrea M.
(A Seneschal who cooks and loves children in the kitchen)

As a matter of fact, I am teaching a Childrens cooking clas at our University
this Saturday, and I have been told that the sign up list is full already!
Cool!