SC - Pumpkins and such...

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Oct 19 06:21:26 PDT 2000

<<<<<<>>> <LadyEbonSwan at aol.com> 10/19/00 1:30:15 AM >>>
And another side note...a lot of the solid pack pumpkin in cans and the
pie filling found in stores are not only mostly squash of varying varieties
(they all taste somewhat alike when similarly prepared), but are also colored
with an extract from carrots.  When making pies from scratch, the resulting
color is a gray-ish color.  Tastes wonderful, though.
    Anyway....there's my two cents!  >>>>>>>>>

I have had a little differnet experience with fresh pumpkins in pie/custard.  Each fall
(after holloween) for a few years, we baked chunks of the pumpkins to dry them a bit,
 then pureed and froze for future use.  when thawed and baked in pies, it retained the
 orangish color.  Sure color was darkened/browned by the spices added, but
orange tinged.  Not bright, blaze orange, but it is there.  It could be that the baking
did something to the enzymes, or it could have been a different variety of pumpkin.

Ah, sweet variety.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco