SC - OT-Re: birthdays

Thu Oct 19 14:30:37 PDT 2000

Now you went and did it.  I don't remember anything about birthday feasts,
other than a mention of celebrating Queen Elizabeth's birthday and something
about a menu from a birthday feast for Catherine de Medici, and those
memories may be faulty.

I've got a couple menus tied off to coronations and funerals, but I don't
remember any birthdays other than those of saints and such.  There was the
great feast given by Richard II and the Duke of Lancaster on 23 September
1387, approximately the Autumnal Equinox, but not a birthday AFIK.

The following URL suggests that feasts were used to celebrate birthdays, but
the lack of documentation makes me question the statements:

http://www.ash.udel.edu/incoming/palos2/6feast.html

This is one of those places Fabulous Feasts might be useful, but my copy is
salted away at the house.

Bear