SC - niccolo's RED MUSTARD

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 18:57:43 PDT 2000

I just made this mustard sauce and it is so STRONG, like horseradish root
straight up,  if you will, that I can hardly bear to eat it.  I added an
extra slice of bread thinking that that would take up some of the strongness
of the sauce but to no avail.   Any ideas?
Phillipa

niccolo's RED MUSTARD (Makes about 1 ½ cups prepared mustard sauce.)

1/2 cup mustard flour (yellow)      4 large pitted dates
3/4 c. cider/wine vinegar       1 slice toasted bread
1/4 c. white grape juice        1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbl zante raisins         1/4 tsp salt (to taste)

Combine the two liquids and stir; set aside.
Moisten toasted bread in liquid to cover for two hours, then drain.
In food processor grind mustard flour, bread, raisins, dates and cinnamon
until fine.
You may need to add a little of the liquid to loosen it.
When ground, turn out into the mustard in large mixing bowl and add salt and
add 3/4 of the liquid.
Stir with a spoon or whisk until smooth.
Pass this mixture entirely through a fine mesh sieve or food mill.

This will make a very smooth paste and remove fibrous material left from
raisins and dates.
Let stand covered overnight.
Stir in more vinegar/juice liquid to desired consistency.
The complex sweetness surpasses any honey mustards I've made to date.