SC - Baked apples

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Thu Oct 19 20:26:26 PDT 2000

Sorry, I don't remember who asked for this.  Granado does have a
recipe for baked quinces, which can also be made with apples.  It's
inside a pastry crust, so maybe it's closer to an apple dumpling.  I
don't have time right now to translate it, but here's the gist:
half-roast the apple on a spit, wrapped in buttered paper.  Core it,
fill the hole with cow's butter or marrow, sugar, cinnamon, and a
whole clove.  Put inside a pastry crust made of white flour, butter,
and egg yolks.  Bake and then serve hot or cold.  The recipe calls
this a tartlet (pastellito), and says to make the box (like the
Spanish equivalent of "coffin") just big enough for the apple, so it
might be more like an individidual pie than a wrapped dumpling.

Brighid, busy making peach pits to bring to EKU...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net