SC - A murri question

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Oct 19 13:20:18 PDT 2000

I wrote (concerning substitutions in murri):

>  > If I have to substitute for quince I use a cooking apple--I think
>>  using the related fresh fruit gives you a much closer substitute than
>>  the jelly would--and as far as I can tell, it comes out pretty
>  similar to the way it does with quince.

and Wajdi asked:

>Just a quick question in here; wouldn't the substitution of
>apples for quinces cause a change in the final consistency of the
>product?
>
>wajdi

By my observation, no, it doesn't. Quince is only one ingredient out
of many in murri, and cooked apples aren't that different in texture
from cooked quinces anyway, and you end by straining it. The major
effect on consistancy is caused by how far you cook the stuff down.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook