SC - Apples?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 19 22:46:56 PDT 2000

Sabia asked:
> I was reading something about apples, and realized that most of the variety
> I commonly use are new world or Aussie/NZ breeds.  What was the common
> size/shape/flavor of the medieval European apple?  What of the modern,
> easily available apples, most approximates it?

This has come up several times, both here and on the Rialto. There are
numerous apples listed and the dates that they were known to be available
in this file in the FOOD-FRUITS section of my Florilegium:
fruits-msg       (206K)  8/ 4/00    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (42K)  1/10/00    Period apples and apple recipes.

> Additionally, does anybody have a period reference to baked whole or
> quartered apples that remain "apple shaped" as opposed to apple sauce /
> apple moy (sp?)?

I think so, but I can't remember for sure. I would check the files mentioned
above and maybe this one in the FOOD-SWEETS section:
desserts-msg      (78K)  1/11/00    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net