SC - Pumpkins and such...

Edgar, Terry EdgarT at JM.com
Fri Oct 20 05:27:14 PDT 2000

For all you learned SCA cooks I have a question:

If the canned "pumpkin" is mostly squash, than would it be appropriate to
use it in period recipes calling for squash?  I am still wanting to try
making pumpkin (in this case it would be called squash or goard soup)  This
would be a sweet cream soup though instead of savory. It tastes very similar
to pumpkin pie.  It is very good.  I have been thinking of incorporating
into the first remove of a four remove feast.

The recipe has "pumpkin"  cream, honey, onions, true cinnamon, cloves,
gelengal and/or ginger, cubeb, salt and long pepper.

Would this be appropriate?

Rivka

- -----Original Message-----
From: LrdRas at aol.com [mailto:LrdRas at aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 10:48 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: SC - Pumpkins and such...

There are many varieties of period pumpkins (i.e., gourds) still available
today:

Italian Edible Gourds, Loofa Sponges, Bushel Basket Gourds and Birdhouse
Gourds
immediately come to mind. Of these, the bushel basket gourd comes the
closest
to looking like what we know as a 'pumpkin' today. Most period recipes using

gourds are savory rather than sweet. So far as size is concerned, manuscript

pictures showing bird house gourds appear to show them no different from
today. There has been a real effort in modern horticulture to reduce the
size
of many standard varieties so there really is no basis to believe that
period
fruits and vegetables where smaller than now although it is true that some
were. For the most part, they had large and small varieties of things just
as
we do. Curiously, Jane Grigson mentions that in the 17th century 126
varieties of vegetables were listed in seed catalogs while today there are a

third of that number available. This is clearly a case of modern is not
better and an example of one of the vast differences with living in an
agricultural society as opposed to an industrial one.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn
Gabirol