kids in kitchen, was: SC - Worst feast ever...

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 11:33:51 PDT 2000

>I don't know what event the accident was supposed to have happened at.  The
>event where the child was made to leave the kitchen was For LOve and Honor.
>Someone who knew her age came in and without wpeaking to me told her to
>leave because that after an accident with a gas explosion there was a "law"
>that noone under 16 could be in the kitchen at an event.
>Maddalena

It doesn't seem that anyone here has heard of any such thing in their own
kingdom and certainly not Society-wide. It would not be out of line for you
to contact the person who was doing the enforcing and ask for clarification
as you were too preoccupied at the time to catch anything but the idea that
your hard worker had to leave. I would really be interested in their
information.

It might have been that their concern was site related rather than SCA
related and the rule was coming from a site contact because the site had an
insurance issue.  Again, unless they were autocrat of officer they shouldn't
have been doing the enforcing, but I know of situations where a particular
person may have more contact with the site than the autocrat does. For
instance, a member was an employee of the Y that owned the camp we often
used.  When he spoke, we listened.  He didn't necessarily hunt up the
autocrat first if he had something to be said that would preserve the safety
of people or equipment.

The Atlantian gas explosion incident was two years ago now and I don't
recall children in the kitchen being an issue in Atlantia since then.  I
beleive some children, not teens, were in the kitchen but whether or not
they were working/hanging out and/or injured I don't recall. A clear report
of the incident was posted to the Merry Rose at the time, perhaps Baron
Corun or Mistress Kiri can search the archives?  If people elsewhere are
using this to justify a non-existant rule, we need to get it clarified.

Bonne