SC - Fascinating etymological study / too much free time???

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 22 20:33:40 PDT 2000

Phillipa commented about liver recipes and her not liking any she had tried:
> addition & correction:
> I just now remember having liver pate' on an El Al flight from London to NY
> in 1976.  It wasn't until I finished it that my brain said.... wait, that was
> liver....... oh......
> It was good, but being a kosher flight I know that no dairy products were
> used....(milk or cream)   but I have no idea of the recipe.

Yes, today I went exploring my Central Market store while my wife explored
the Borders book store nearby. We were coming back from a feast prep cooking
day.

Anyway, one of the sample tables had two cheeses and a liver pate'.
Even though it was liver I decided to give it a try. It was actually
fairly good. It reminded me more of some sausage that I've had than
anything else. It was rather rich though. I'm not sure that I could
eat much at once. It was strong enough that I had to taste the cheese
twice before I started really tasting the cheese samples. (there weren't
any crackers or such around). And those two cheese weren't mild ones.

After the discussion on dolmas here earlier this year, and the one
I bought at this last Pennsic, I bought one each of the half dozen
different dolmas they had to try later. Not all were traditional.
One had jalapenos in it and another had a cilantro habenero filling.

They also had 36 different types of olives. More than the Mediterranean
grocery I mentioned earlier on this list. Maybe I'll buy a sampler
of those next time. I found the feta cheese green olive I sampled,
interesting but rather strong. However, with a strong tasting cheese I
imagine you want a strong tasting olive. The anchovy olive sounded
interesting, too.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net