SC - Re: Peach pits (Recipe)

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Oct 23 16:38:03 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 23 Oct 00, , that Olwen the Odd wrote:

> > >I even have a peach!
> >
> >Lucky you!  I tried to find one locally, but you can't even get
> >expensive imported ones in my area supermarkets.

> Need a (real) peach pit?  Send address.
> Olwen

Thank you for the offer, but I have pits.  I was hoping to find a
fresh peach, so I could use it to display one of the marzipan pits.  I
would have paid extra for an imported one, I didn't even care if it
was ripe or not, but there were none to be had.  ::shrug::  Oh, well.

I think the pits lend themselves to all kinds of interesting shtick.
"Alas, peaches are out of season, and I can only offer you the
pits..."
"We imported a basket of fine peaches from the orchards of
Meridies, but [person known locally for hearty appetite] seems to
have gotten here first."
"Our taxes are so high that this is the only kind of fruit we can
afford..."

I also have this vision of a feast... the servers bring a tray of peach
halves, with pits, up to High Table.  The highest ranking guest,
having been previously clued in, announces loudly, "These look
very tasty!" and pops a pit into his/her mouth before anyone else
gets a chance to see what they really are.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net