SC - FW: Anniversary banquet

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Oct 23 18:10:27 PDT 2000

FDA? I'm not sure if this info is reliable since meat (even game meat)
normally falls under the USDA. I've heard of state approved meat lockers
slaughtering/processing deer, either farmed or hunter-provided, and I
haven't heard of any laws prohibiting sale of the meat. If it passes state
lines for sale, then it needs to be federally inspected, but that still be
USDA-FSIS, not FDA. Now it may be state law, in which I can't help you with,
but otherwise, I don't see a problem.

Beatrix
(Inspector, FSIS)
If you want, I'll  ask at work, but I think all I'll get is blank looks.

> Feel free to ignore this if you know it not to apply, as my knowledge of
> geography isn't what it could be.  However, if you're doing this in the
east
> kingdom, this is going to be *expensive*.  The reason?  Apparently, it's
> against the law to serve game meats at an event where payment is required
> participate.  In other words, if you're serving venison that was
contributed
> by a whole bunch of hunters, you have to make that available to *everyone*
> (even passers-by) for no cost.  If you charge for it, it has to be deer
that
> was raised in an FDA approved manner, which gets really expensive.  Check
> local laws if you want to be sure.

- ---