SC - Ironmen Chef competitions

Steven Weidner bigsteve at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 24 08:58:47 PDT 2000

>Our cooking guild and others are just starting to discuss holding some
>Ironmen chef competitions.
>
>I am looking for information from people who have held/sponsored/judged
>and from those who have partcipated.  We want to know to know how
>it worked for you from the multiple viewpoints - partcipant, judge, or
>organizer.  What would you have done differently to improve it for
>the next time?  What went exactly right (as you planned) ?

I know that Clan Campbell has done this in camp at Pennsic for the last two
years.  It started as simply a barbecue competition, and then moved on to
specifically being Iron Chef, with the two ingredients being "fire" and
"Something that used to walk".  The appropriate warning that comes from such
a competition is that if no winner is chosen (i.e. it's a tie), you'll need
to do it all over again the next year.

(Mind you, it wasn't such a big thing to *watch* what was going on.  I will
suggest that if that's to be a major part, be sure to get all folks their
own kitchen facilities.  Jet engines i.e. high-output propane burners for
cooking outside, are highly recommended.)

Steinn Karlsson