SC - A gentle suggestion....

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Oct 24 18:11:33 PDT 2000

At 2:13 PM -0400 10/24/00, LadyEbonSwan at aol.com wrote:
>     Knowing my temper as I do, I've not responded to Philip's initial post,
>because...well, I know me.  Keeping that in mind, might I make a suggestion,
>and phrase it as gently as possible?
>
>     Might we all go back and look up the words "courtesy" and "chivialry",
>read them a couple of times, take a few deep breaths, and then continue with
>the intent of this list?  Perhaps then we might go on with exchanging ideas,
>recipies and advice...not...this?
>
>     Just a suggestion from someone who's had enough.

While I have some sympathy with your point of view in this case, I'm
not sure I agree with the general argument it seems to imply. Bad
feasts do happen. When they happen, it is probably good that other
people know about it, both so that the people responsible don't get
asked to do another feast any time soon, and so that other people can
be warned about the problems. Too often, it seems to me, "courtesy"
and "chivalry" end up, in SCA discussions, being used by people to
protect themselves from having other people demonstrate that their
views are wrong.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/