SC - Notes re Quinces in Paste

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 06:31:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/25/00 7:40:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> Can you think of
> a workable explanation, other than that they were those wacky medieval
> folks, for why two whole quinces might be inserted into a round coffin?

One plate, service, etc. was the norm for 2 people at table. 2 quinces in a
coffin would be perfect for 2 people. I also suspect that the coffin itself
was not meant to be eaten but was rather meant to be the serving dish.
Serving dishes, depending on what is in them, often have various proportions
of empty space.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol