SC - crendering chicken fat

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Oct 26 13:41:45 PDT 2000

It depends on how pure you want it. I know that when I make schmaltz, I
take the warm chicken fat, add about 2x as much water and whisk the
bejesus out of it, then let it stand and use one of the gravy separators
to pour the water out from underneath, and repeat once or twice. the
water will pull out any non-fat impurities and excess congealed protein
that can cause cloudiness. If you dont care about the protein and any
little cooking remenants that just skimming the fat off the stock and
saving it works.
margali

- --
http://homestead.deja.com/user.marilyntraber/index.html