SC - important date-

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 26 23:56:32 PDT 2000

Lainie said:
> Yeah- so? Are you going to suggest that Henry wasn't wearing clean
> underpants at Agincourt? Never go out without, says Aunty, 'cause you
> never know when you might get run over by a marauding French army, and
> wouldn't you be embarrassed at the hospital!

Well, this is a bit off of cooking, too. But I thought it was interesting
years ago and I understand it more as I research the Middle Ages, when
I found out that Santa Anna, the Mexican dictator was identified and
captured by his underwear. After his disasterous (for him) defeat by
the Texans at the battle of San Jacinto, he tried to escape by disguising
himself in the clothes of a regular soldier and slipping away. Sort of
like some medieval kings and nobles were said to have done. However,
when the Texans captured him, they found that he was wearing silk underwear.
Which wasn't what the regular soldier was wearing. I guess he could part
with the fancy outer duds but not that. Had he gotten back to Mexico
and raised another army history might have been different.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net