SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 17:28:51 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/00 7:01:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
grizly at mindspring.com writes:

>  I suspect you miught be confusing spices and herbs.
I concede on this point. But I figure what they didn't trade for, they could
grow, and if they didn't grow/trade, they generally did without, didn't they?
I mean, I remember the whole Grains of Paradise discussion, and Black Pepper,
and Sea Salt/Kosher Salt/Rock Salt discussion, etc. And the woodcuts do show
plant leaves, flowers, etc., being dried and ground. So, it wasn't that they
were illiterate or incapable of getting/having. And it wasn't that they were
primative cooking everything on flat stones in open, untemp controlled fires.
They had some pretty ingenious ways of cooking, and creating. They knew about
potting and bringing plants indoors for winter months.

The point I was trying to make is I'm not near as well versed in what was
period cooking techniques/receipes as the rest of you all are and **I** know
that. You would think someone writing a **cookbook** would know more than I.

Lars