SC - fava beans

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Sun Oct 29 07:23:08 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 28 Oct 00, , that Serian wrote:

> I am helping a good friend locate information about fava
> beans in period.  Any bean experts out there that know a
> good source or two?

What kind of info is your friend looking for?  Recipes?  Agricultural
information?  For recipes, the Italian, Spanish/Catalan, and Arabic
cookbooks probably have the most.  For agricultural info., ISTR
that the 1513 "Obra de Agricultura" (Work on Agriculture) by
Gabriel Alonso de Herrera has a section on growing fava beans.  I
do not think there's an English translation, and unfortunately, the
Virtual Cervantes Library removed their online copy of the Spanish
text.  On the positive side of things, there is a 1970 reprint, which
he could probably get via ILL.  The section on fava beans is no
more than a few pages, and if your friend does not read Spanish,
he shouldn't have much trouble finding someone to tackle that
chapter.

Here's the bibliographic info from the LC catalog, in case he wants
to pursue this.  The OCLC number would be particularly useful in
locating an ILL copy:

   Type of Material:
                   Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
     Personal Name:
                   Herrera, Gabriel Alonso de, 15th/16th cent.
         Main Title:
                   Obra de agricultura. Edición y estudio preliminar por
José Urbano
                   Martínez Carreras.
  Published/Created:
                   Madrid, Ediciones Atlas, 1970.
     Related Names:
                   Martínez Carreras, José Urbano, ed.
                   Martínez Carreras, José Urbano. Historia agraria
castellana. 1970.
                   c, 407 p. 26 cm.
             Notes:
                   "La edición ... que se publica ... es la transcripción
fiel de la primera
                   edición de Alcalá de Henares de 1513."
                   The preliminary study, Historia agraria castellana,
was originally presented
                   as the editor's "memoria de licenciatura," Madrid,
1962-63.
                   Includes bibliographical references.
           Subjects:
                   Agriculture.
                   Agriculture--Spain.
            Series:
                   Biblioteca de autores españoles, 235
   LC Classification:
                   PQ6171.A2 B6 no. 235
   Other System No.:
                   (OCoLC)593253

Brighid, who doesn't know beans about farming...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net