SC - slingshots/slings

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 29 13:15:08 PST 2000

Olwen asked:
> Anybody know how far back slingshots go?  I thought that went back to BC.
>  So why didn't they use those??  A lot easier than climbing a building.

If you mean a forked stick with a loop of stretchy rubber material, not
to period times probably, because of the lack of sufficently stretchy
material to use.
However, the sling goes back to biblical times (remember the Jewish
David and Goliath story). Slings were used in medieval combat and they
have been used in SCA combat.

Of course :-) there is some info on slings in the Florilegium. In the
COMBAT section:
slings-msg        (34K)  3/22/99    Slings as weapons. combat and hunting.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net