SC - Malaches (FoC 159)

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Mon Oct 30 07:10:39 PST 2000

ÚlfR wrote:

>Sheeps womb. They might not have it in stock in the market closest to
>where I work (I work a short stones throw from one of Stockholms better
>markets), but I am sure they can get it. Must try, haggis is good, so
>this might be as well.

Are we talking about a womb in the modern sense here, or the Old English
wamb/wombe? Although we do have recipes for sheep uterus here in Iceland
(called "krókasteik", hooked steak), I suspect the schepis wombe refers to
the stomach (still called vömb in Icelandic, probably something similar in
Swedish).

If you take the malaches recipe, substitute sheep´s blood and chopped sheep
suet (can you say sheep suet?) for the pig´s blood and lard, and stuff the
mixture in  bags made of sheep´s stomach, then boil them, then you have a
very traditional Icelandic blóðmör recipe - I made some only last week. The
flour we use is rye, often mixed with some wheat flour and/or oats. The
blóðmör is black, with very distinctive white flecks. It is often sliced
when cold, then fried - traditionally in sheep´s tallow, now usually in
butter or margarine. And frequently strewn with sugar.

Nanna