SC - Stephan's news and concerns

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Oct 30 09:32:39 PST 2000

Dear Stephen,
	Congratulations on your Grant.  It is well-deserved, and over due.  It
is interesting that sometimes one has to hear about things in one's own
backyard from others outside of your area to appreciate what is right in
front of you.   It is obvious your King was pleased to be hearing so
glowingly about something that originated in His own Kingdom, and took
measures to make sure that those within your Kingdom knew how well you
are representing them as well.  I am not suprised at all to hear that you
get many non-SCA responses to your work, I have gotten the Florilegium
many times on non-SCA related web searches.
	As for the comment about having to have newcomers 'saved' from you, I
think most everyone else here has reassured you that we don't see you as
a social dufus, and value your contributions.  I know the newcomers that
you talked to will find your site very valuable, and will be greatly
enriched by it.  The only thing I can think of (and I'm being generous to
your detractor here, they probably don't deserve this much credit) is
that sometimes we have a knee-jerk reaction to automatically getting on
the computer to find everything.  I know that I deal with people often
who are proud to say they don't own a computer, and won't have one
poisoning their life.  In a group that focuses on pre-industrial
civilization, it is possible that the attitude you are running into is
one of preferring written text versions, going to museums in person,
wandering libraries for the serendiptous things you find there, and
eschewing the internet.  Mind you, this isn't me, (or most of us on the
list, what would we be typing on?), but it is a possible explaination for
some discomfort.  Either that, or she felt you were horning in on
newcomers she had already started to cultivate for her own nefarious
purposes?
	What the heck, embrace the information age, ignore your critics, and
forge ahead with your well-recognized works!
	Christianna