SC - Cooks Digest 2746?

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Mon Oct 30 13:10:37 PST 2000

To whomever was inquiring about a German feast... (sorry skimming digests,
and up to my eyeballs in feast prep, and no time to hunt back for the
original post)

I am in the final stages of a German feast myself, I have been webbing as I
go along.  Link to
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_ASnovfeast.htm
I am doing a sort of Proto-Sauerbraten-oid (marinated in Vinegar, water and
garlic for overnight) and there is a second perhaps even more apropriate
version that uses beef marinated in Vinegar and water and several spices (but
not the allspice and bay leaf so common in modern recipes), and then makes a
sauce of the marinade, but neither of them use gingersnaps or gingerbread.
And neither is marinated for most of a week.)

There is a very functional bratwurst recipe in the webbed translation of
Sabine Welserin (I think it is Valoise Armstrongs version, but I cant swear
to it. ) Though I would agree with His Grace Carriadoc, most folks are
familiar with Saurbraten and Bratwurst, perhaps try to include something less
familiar along with the more familiar. (Because you do want them to eat it....)

Gwen Cat
Still redacting sauces, candying spices, rounding up chickens at $.48 lb, and
thinking about becoming known as Gwen the bald....