SC - German feast

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Oct 30 16:08:06 PST 2000

> There are a lot of regional variations to Sauerbraten, but at its heart it is beef
> marinated for several days in wine and spices, often juniper berries, then roasted
> and the pan juices often thickened with gingersnaps (in English-language versions of
> the recipe) sometimes sour cream is added to the sauce. Sometimes the roast is
> cooked with raisins.

All the sauerbraten I've encountered was marinated in vinegar rather than
wine, which is what makes it sour. I suspect you can document marinating
roast in vinegar to Germany and/or E. Europe-- Debinska certain says so
but until i can find someone who can read her in the original and get the
excised footnotes, I'm not sure where that came from.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker