SC - pennyroyal (was flavored cheese)y

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Oct 31 06:56:39 PST 2000

> The quantities needed are much more than any quantities that would be used in
> cookery or consumed in individual servings. I use pennyroyal, and any of the
> other herbs which could cause whatever reactions in folks at all my feasts.
> To not do so would result in a feast consisting of nothing.

Rue: Maximum daily dose (according to PDR): 1.0 gm (note that that
is probably for an average adult, 125-175 lbs.) "Vomiting, epigastric
pain, liver damage, kidney damage, depression, sleep disorders, feelings
of vertigo, delirium, fainting, tremor, and spasm, occasionally with fatal
outcome, have occurred in cases of overdose. " It's also a fertility
inhibitor.

Pennyroyal: "Acute poisonings are not to be feared in conjunction with the
proper administration of designated therapeutic dosages of the foilage
drug. Still, because of its hepatotoxicity, it is recommended that the
drug not be used"  (After all, you only get one liver.)

Tansy: "Administration in allopathic dosages is to be avoided." "The
lethal dosage is approximately 15-30 gm." (note the _lethal_ there)

The PDR does not list any precautions for either Chamomile or Roman
Chamomile, including for pregnancy. Same for Boneset.

It says that Sage preparations should not be taken during pregnancy but
that it is not toxic except in quanities more than 15 gm of the leaves.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker