SC - Dyschefull of Snowe vs Apple Snow - a redaction question

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Oct 31 07:00:20 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 31 Oct 00, , that Lee-Gwen wrote:

> [...]

The Apple Snow recipe is in the Florilegium, along with a bunch of
others which are allegedly "Scottish".  They are all taken from "A
Book of Historical Recipes" by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Scotland-
msg.text

The "Scottish Medieval" recipe for gingerbread is straight out of
"Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks", and most of the other recipes
quoted in that post seem to come from familiar English period
cookbooks.

The recipe title "Apple Snow" is followed immediately by the
"Dyschefull of Snowe" recipe, which is identical to the one from "A
Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye".  (According to the bibliography in
"To the Queen's Taste", APNBOC is dated c. 1560.)  And that is
followed by the redaction with pureed apple and whipped cream.

Searching the web for "apple snow", I found many sites that gave a
similar recipe.  It appears to be a traditional British dish -- Mrs.
Beeton has a recipe for it.  I don't know how old it is.  The BBC
website called it Elizabethan, but didn't give an original source.
(They may have been using the Paston-Williams book, for all I
know.)

Now this is all speculative on my part, but this is what I *think*
happened:

Paston-Williams took an Elizabethan English recipe that might
have been also cooked in Scotland, and in her redaction, gave it
the name and the instructions for a traditional but-possibly-not-
period British dessert.

The other redactions given in the file stay closer to the originals,
though she adds some cream to a dish of mussels which does not
appear in the period recipe.

Does anyone have the Paston-Williams book in their collection,
and can check to see what she says about her sources?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net