SC - Barley malt syrup?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Oct 31 09:58:18 PST 2000

I would say this was an accurate description, especially the part about
it being a strong flavor.  It would definitely not go with
lighter-flavored dishes, it has to be something that compliments barley's
natural flavor.  When you open the jar, you just want to make beer ;)
For an OOP sweetener, try Agave Nectar.  It is the juice of the Agave
plant, which is not a cactus, but a bromeliade (like a pineapple), and
the stuff you would ferment to get tequilla from.   It is expensive, but
is about 25% stronger than sugar, so less is needed.  It is wonderful in
cold drinks (doesn't have to dissolve) and I have used it in several
applications where white sugar is called for.  It also has practically no
flavor of its own, so it goes well with just about any other flavors
without covering them up.
Christianna

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:43:15 EST SCAbeathog at cs.com writes:
> Our discusstion of last week concerning golden syrup has sparked in
> me a new
> interest in sweeteners.  While searching wildoats.com, I came across
>
> something called barley malt syrup, and wonder if any of you have
> any info on
> it.  It says:
>
> Barley Malt Syrup
>  Considered one of the best natural sweeteners, because of the
> slow-digesting
> sugars. Made from sprouted barley. Thick, sticky, malty, similar in
> consistency, color and flavor to molasses. Use for cookies, muffins
> and cakes
> with strong flavor; good with ginger, carob or chocolate.
>
> Anyone?
> Beathog

> SCA-Cooks".

===