SC - making up bread

Tue Oct 31 12:20:25 PST 2000

> I know we've talked about this on the list before, but
> there's just not much by way of actual bread recipes in our
> corpus of recipes, is there? Platina goes on and on about the
> grains and why some of them are so good and that seems to
> be about the extent of it in the English translations of anything
> I've read. But do we actually have any real recipes? Maybe
> something from a baker's guild record or something?
>
> Iasmin

Platina describes a traditional sourdough bread.  There is a raston recipe
(actually two versions of one recipe) in the Two Fourteenth Century
Cookbooks.  A manchet recipe and a reston recipe from Elizabethan sources.
All of the original recipes can be found in Florilegium, as can some nice
but OOP recipes.

I would suggest manchet recipe I used for Protectorate as being relatively
quick to make.

Bear