SC - Quince paste

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Oct 2 23:33:53 PDT 2000

Olwen commented:
> Too bad you don't live up here.  Quince trees are found along many of the
> roads and the fruit just rots off the trees.  I have been unable to do any
> harvesting of free foods for over a year because of my ankle.  My stores of
> canned, dried and frozen free foodstuffs is all but depleted.
> Perhaps next seasaon I shall be able to run and jump fences and climb
> trees....

Where is "up here"? Around here, I still haven't seen quinces in the
stores. I don't know whether they don't carry them or whether I've just
been looking at the wrong times or whether they are there and I just
don't recognise them.

When you can gather some quinces, and apparently they have to be quite
ripe/rotten to use them, you might be interested in looking at the
quince recipes in these files:
fruit-quinces-msg (29K)  2/ 3/00    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
marmalades-msg    (53K) 12/20/99    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams

The first is in the FOOD-FRUITS section and the second in the FOOD-SWEETS
section.

Olwen, perhaps you can find someone in your area to gather you some of
these fruits in return for some of the prepared food product?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net