SC - Dolmas, apple pie, Chevrolet...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Oct 4 11:56:16 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Richard Kappler wrote:
> >
> > From: Laura C. Minnick <lcm at efn.org>
> >
> > > Ok, I must be a mutant. (I know what you're thinking Puck, and it isn't
> > > nice!) I really don't care for cheese on my apple pie.
> >
> > I wasn't thinking mutant at all 'Lainie.  I was thinking more along the
> > lines of commie pinko slug.  No cheese on apple pie.  Indeed!
> >
> > smirking, Puck
>
> Nah, I think it's more like, if you only had Tilamook Cheddar, would
> _you_ put it on apple pie? And then we know what the Pacific Northwest
> uses for apples, don't we?

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Master A. There are _lots_ of
lovely cheese here in An Tir. Just in Oregon we have Tillamook and
Bandon cheeses, both quite nice, and in many varieties. (My favorite
Tillamook is the extra-sharp White Cheddar- lovely in rice casserole!)
And there are many lovely apples here, though oddly, most of what is
available in teh stores are imported- from New Zealand! if one went to
the local farmer's market, there are some beautiful local varieties.

Simply told, most of the times I have been served apple pie with cheese,
it has been a slice of store-bought pie with a hunk of raw cheddar
plunked on top. To me, cheese, especially cheddar, is an ingredient, not
something I eat in the raw (and I must add that I'm a migraineur- a
couple mouthfuls of uncooked sharp cheddar and I'm under the table
pleading for silence. I can have small amounts of cheese _cooked_ into
dishes...).

Cheese and apples baked into nut-bread, or cheese in the crust of the
pie, or apples dipped into cheese sauce (ooh! White cheddar sauce with
Gravenstein apples! Oh! Must try that!)- those sound good. But a
hunk-o-headache on my pastry? Nah...

> Never let it be said I don't get myself into trouble on your account,
> Puck, or take up your causes...

I get the feeling that Puck can protect himself ;-)

> Adamantius, who may have just bitten off more pie and cheddar than he
> can chew

I will not be so foolish as to make the obvious comment here... ;-D

'Lainie