SC -Puck's Lombard Mustard

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Oct 4 13:36:29 PDT 2000

> post.  In answer to the vinegar question, I started out with 1/4 cup.  The
> following day the grains had sucked up all the moisture and begged for more,
> as I had a rather dry paste.  I was also VERY hot!  I loved it, other than
> being a little unhappy about the consistency, but my Lady,  who was also the
> Autocrat, tasted it and gave me subtle guidance.  After she regained her
> composure and powers of speech.

Don't let your lady attempt to try fresh mustard sauce! The trouble is not
the amount of liquid, but the age of the paste. Fresh mustard paste is
VERY hot- but mustard a week old is about the hotness of Guldens' Brown
mustard.

Does anyone know if medieval cooks ever served fresh mustard? A bunch of
the recipes I've seen call for aging it...