SC - RE: Ruzzige Cake

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Sat Oct 7 08:38:57 PDT 2000

I found the following crepe recipe in "Joy of Cooking." Would it make a
good leaf for the Ruzzige Cake?  If so, does anyone know of period
documentation or support for this type of batter cake?

	3 eggs
	2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
	1 Tbsp. water
	1 Tbsp. milk
	Pinch of salt

Combine and stir until the ingredients are the consistency of thin cream.
They recommend keeping the batter 3 hours to overnight in a covered bowl in
the refrigerator. To cook: Place 1 Tbsp. additional butter into 5-inch
crepe pan, pour in enough batter to cover the bottom with a thin coating.
Keep the pan moving. After the top sets, turn and brown the other side.
Remove to a tray to keep warm until all are made.  The cakes may be stacked
with a cloth between them and reheated with sauce later...

It sounds as though the batter could be made ahead, then cooked during slow
times on feast day (ok, so there's no really slow times (:6).  Then, the
cakes could be kept refrigerated until time to fill and serve.

Keeping in mind my plans to bid a German feast, what would you think about
these for all or part of an opening course?  Leanna