SC - green eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 11 23:38:51 PDT 2000

Olwen commented:
> My dad had a small but terrible kitchen rep.  He made slimy scrambled eggs
> tinted a horrid shade of green.

Well, I don't know about the slimy part, but there are period recipes for
green colored scrambled eggs using herbs for coloring.

Don't use too much quantity of herbs though. The one, and only, time
that I've tried one of these recipes, the eggs turned out quite green.
But the taste of the herbs was overpowering. They rather overpowered
the taste of the eggs. They weren't evenly green as if I used food
coloring, more speckled or mottled but I think many modern diners would
be put off by the green color.

This might well be one place where medieval and modern tastes have
diverged.

For more info on eggs, and at least one of these egg recipes, check
this file in the FOOD section of my files:
eggs-msg         (125K)  7/26/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net