SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Oct 12 06:15:19 PDT 2000

>>> Catherine Deville<catdeville at mindspring.com> 10/11/00 9:23:45 PM >>>
....SNIP....Currently I'm researching tamales as both my husband and
myself enjoy *good* tamales (not particularly hot, but savory ones.)
However, I've run into a bit of a delimna.  Authentic recipes use lard and
I'm not sure what results I'll get if substituting vegetable shortening or
butter.   I'd prefer not to use lard unless absolutely necessary.
So... my question is, what experience have other folks had with tamales.
And if you'd like to share your favorite recipes as well as techniques,
that would also be appreciated.
Finally, I know that corn meal is not period, but is there a period
precedent for the tamale or the enchilada?  I'd be interested in knowing
what kind of similar foods existed in period, if any did at all.  >>>>>>>>>>>>

Welsome to the world of hand made tamales!!  I have experimented with these with some pleasant results.  My information has led me to the use os masa for making the paste.  It is, IIRC, ground hominy and a couple other things.  I buy it in a sack like flour under the brand name Maseca, and should be found in mexican/latin grocery stores.  The instructions on the package say add water to make the paste; I use the pork broth.

As for the meat filling, I braise my pork shoulder with cumin and anchp chili powder.  The broth makes a great liquid for the masa.  When cooked, shred with forks and encase in the masa paste.  I used foil or corn husks (also available at latin grocery) to wrap it all up, then steam until done.  The sauce on top is the trick I anm still working on.  It should be a chili sauce, and can use any number of non-hot pepperes.  I am using dried ancho.  Hope this helps.  I have more info if needed.

THFra niccolo difrancesco