SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 12 20:45:52 PDT 2000

THFra niccolo said:
> Welsome to the world of hand made tamales!!  I have experimented with
these with some pleasant results.  My information has led me to the use os
masa for making the paste.  It is, IIRC, ground hominy and a couple other
things.  I buy it in a sack like flour under the brand name Maseca, and
should be found in mexican/latin grocery stores.  The instructions on the
package say add water to make the paste; I use the pork broth.>>

Yes, I've found os masa at Publix in the Latin section.  I think that
Kroger carries it too.

So, you don't add *any* fat to the paste?

> As for the meat filling, I braise my pork shoulder with cumin and anchp
chili powder.  The broth makes a great liquid for the masa.  When cooked,
shred with forks and encase in the masa paste.  I used foil or corn husks
(also available at latin grocery) to wrap it all up, then steam until done.
The sauce on top is the trick I anm still working on.  It should be a chili
sauce, and can use any number of non-hot pepperes.  I am using dried ancho.
Hope this helps.  I have more info if needed.>

I have several recipes for "enchilada" sauce that I'm going to try to see
which one I like best, but an old friend of mine who once served me home
made tamales (she used to have a tamale night and make a variety at once)
served them with red sauce, green sauce and mole...  the chicken with mole
was to die for, so I'm also looking for a good recipe for mole as well.

thanks for the hints!  I intend to use corn husks for mine, as I can
actually taste the difference when served tamales in a restaurant if
they've been cooked in the husks and I really prefer the extra corn taste.

and BTW... when we get moved, I would love to host one of those period
"cook's nights" we talked about.

never thirst,
cat

Don't forget to visit the Hunger Site Daily!  http://www.thehungersite.com
Cat's Personal Website:     http://catdeville.home.mindspring.com/
The PhoenixSpirit Clan:      http://phoenixspirit.home.mindspring.com/
Campus Crusader: "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"
Buffy tVS: "You know, I meant to... and...
     and then I just got really busy."