SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Oct 13 07:19:34 PDT 2000

<<<<<Yes, I've found os masa at Publix in the Latin section.  I think that
Kroger carries it too.
So, you don't add *any* fat to the paste?>>>>>

I do not.  It would certainly make a different texture, and easier to work with.  I have just used the liquid so far.  I've not made any since my rediscovery of lard.  My guess would be that if you use a fat source that is 100% fat, the results would be similar.  The textures would be different between vegetable and animal fats, though.  (And do use a solid fat rather than oil to begin with).  Something about the makeup of the fats, IIRC.  The hot liquid will help melt the fat and make it incorporable into the paste, not unlike a hot water crust.

<<<<<<<<<thanks for the hints!  I intend to use corn husks for mine, as I can
actually taste the difference when served tamales in a restaurant if
they've been cooked in the husks and I really prefer the extra corn taste.>>>>>

Whenever possible, do use the husks.  It is traditional to tie them with strips of husk as well, but cotton butchers' twine wil do in a pinch.  Anything else could leave an 'off' flavor.  Foil band around the husks would suffice if absolutely needed.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco