SC - RE: OOP Question about Tamales

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 07:59:53 PDT 2000

>Thanks mi'Lady :-)   ... I've never done tamales from a kit, but have done
>most of my Mexican foods from kits until now.
>Lady Celia des L'archier >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>You'll find many varieties of dried chilis in the latino markets.  Ancho,
>poblano, etc. They vary in heat perceived as well as flavor profile.  >
>pacem et bonm,
>niccolo difrancesco

Actually, the "kits" I spoke of not a birght yellow box with Ortega written
on it.  It is, rather, a clear plastic bag that includes the corn husks,
several types of dried chilis/peppers and some assorted spices.  Sort of
like one-stop-shopping.  As Niccolo stated, dried chilis vary in heat~so you
may pick and choose from the assortment they offer in the pack.  I do not
recall the name brand at this time.  The masa is the main ingredient in the
soaked corn husk with just a small portion of the spiced pork included.
They are then wrapped up and stood up in a steamer.  Some folks like to tye
the husks closed using strands of husk or string.  It's just for visual
effect.  If you don't overstuff the husks you don't need any of that,
although I like the effect.  Usually, at House Blackstar, they go from pan
to mouth with no sign of platter.
Olwen