SC - Re: cook's cote[Aprons]

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 15:55:54 PDT 2000

- --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:

> When I'm cooking I tend to wear fairly simple
> clothing, and either an
> apron or a towel tied around my waist. I actually
> have a set of cotton
> aprons with lettering on them that says "Chez
> Elaine", and either
> 'staff' or 'Le Chef' on the upper edge. Silly- but
> they keep the food of
> my clothes and everyone knows who's in charge!
>
> An Tirians may remember the Egil's where I was
> called up for a service
> award while I was making the Princess' dinner, and
> forgot to take off my
> apron. There I was, in front of the king, covered
> with pork grease...
>
> 'Lainie

Hey, at least you had an apron on ...

I seem to has some subconscious antipathy for aprons.
I never remember to bring them, or, if I do remember
them, I forget to put them on.  I usually cook in
field garb.

So there I was, June 1981, cooking a coronation
banquet for 300 and up to my elbows in egg whites,
making a Dish Full of Snow, when someone comes in and
casually tells me, "You are wanted in court." "What?
Now?  I am much too busy!"  "Yes, he seems to want you
now." "What does he want? I can't just abandon my
food!  There is just too much to do in order for
everything to be ready on-time!  Go ask him what he
wants.  If he is hungry, I have some munchies over
there that he can have..." At this point, three other
people descend upon me.  "You are wanted in court,
NOW!" "What?  NO! I can't go to court now!  And I am
not dressed for court anyway.  I can't go before the
King dirty ..." "Do you have garb here that you can
change into?" "Yes, but it will take me at least 45
minutes to change and I really don't have the time now
to do so. I have to finish this dish..." "Let me
finish this for you.  Go see what the King want you
for!"  At this point several of the King's guards grab
my arms and drag me from the kitchen, saying "We
promise that you will really like this!" They dragged
me from the kitchen, into court and up the stairs to
the King.  I barely had the sense to kneel.  The
Crescent Herald started to speak, saying something
about admitting me into the Order of the Laurel.  This
part is still just a blur to me.  All I can remember
clearly was thinking about how horrible I thought I
looked and wishing I had been given time to change
clothes.  But then this was in the "good old days"
when all candidates were surprised and not informed in
advance.  After being elevated, I escaped back into
the kitchen and never left there again until it was
time to go home.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.