SC - rosettes? pizelli?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 11:53:38 PDT 2000

- --- Valoise Armstrong <varmstro at zipcon.net> wrote:

> > Selene commented:
> >> I do love rosettes.  How far back do they go, I
> wonder?  They're only pizelli
> >> in
> >> reverse after all.
> Stefan replied:
> > Ok, newbie cook time. (Or maybe just Texan). What
> are "rosettes"?
> > What is a "pizelli"? Is this last what is
> mundanely made in the
> > pizelle(?) irons that we often use to bake wafers
> in?
>
>  There is at least on period recipe from Sabina
> Welserin.
>
> 88 A molded and fried pastry
>
> Take eight eggs and beat them well and pour them in
> a sieve and strain them,
> put a little wine in with it, so that it goes
> through easily, the chicken
> embryo remaining behind. Afterwards stir flour into
> it, until you think that
> it is right. Do not make the batter too thick. Dip
> the mold in with proper
> skill and let them fry, then it is well done. Salt
> the eggs
>
> I haven't tried this yet, I've been looking for
> rosette molds that don't
> look too out of period.
>
> Valoise

It is wonderful how two people can look at the same
recipe and not see the same things.  I remember seeing
this recipe and thinking that the recipe was similar
to rosettes, but I missed the word "dip" and kept
thinking of molds like a gingerbread or a shortbread
mold.  But "duh!" of course it is talking about
something similar to a rosette iron.

As for period looking rosette irons, the basic six
petalled rosette iron is stylistically within period,
but whether it was used for rosettes, I don't know.
I also have several cup irons that make tart shells
using the rosette recipe.  I have always thought that
this could be a period concept.

Thank you Valoise for this pointing this recipe out.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.