SC - Squash ( was OOP: Re: Harry Potter foodies)

Wed Oct 18 14:06:33 PDT 2000

I would point out for this argument, the squashes are all New World also.
They are all members of genus Cucurbita.  The Old World gourds are members
of genus Lagenaria, including the calabash, bottle and dipper gourds, and
were eaten through the SCA period.

Pumpkins and squash come into use in Europe during the 16th Century and they
appear in very late SCA period paintings.  The paintings I've seen suggest
they were eaten, but they don't seem to make an appearance in the recipes
(they may have simply replaced the gourds in cooking).

As a piece of guesswork, the giant varietals are modern hybrids, while the
smaller pumpkins, like the Small Sugar, would be closer to the 16th Century
pumpkin.

Bear