SC - Worst feast ever...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Oct 19 12:31:39 PDT 2000

Lest anyone get scared away from doing Chinese feasts, let me assure you that, if
properly planned, they are not at all hard to do.  The big thing is "planned".
They do require that you find dishes that can be easily prepared for large
numbers...stir frys can be done using either a grill-top (done that several
times...works extremely well!!) or several large woks.  There are a number of
different kinds of dim sum that can be done ahead of time, then actually cooked on
the site.  For fried dim sum, oven frying works very well (put a thin coating of
oil on a baking sheet, put sheet in oven to come to frying temperature,  place dim
sum on sheet, brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other).  There are
really a lot of ways to do this.  Noodles are very hard to cook for large numbers.
We found that it works best to split them up into several smaller
batches...otherwise they tend to clump together in large glutinous masses.

It's also important that you try out each dish to find out what possible "gotachas"
there might be.

Kiri