Sea salt, was SC - Adaptation from Apicius for jerking meat

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Oct 19 18:42:04 PDT 2000

Okay gang...

I happened to be at the grocery this afternoon, and stopped to look at
the salt. According to the labels, this is what's in the little round
boxes...

Plain salt:
	sample #1: salt, calcium silicate
	sample #2: salt, sodium silicoaluminate

Iodized salt:
	sample #1: salt, calcium silicate, dextrose, potassium iodide
	sample #2: salt, sodium silicoaluminate, sodium thiosulfate, potassium
iodide

Sea Salt:
	salt, calcium silicate

Iodized Sea Salt:
	salt, calcium silicate, dextrose, potassium iodide, sodium bicarbonate

So there's no difference in the listed ingredients between plain salt
and sea salt, and little for the iodized version. My suspicion is that
there is a trace mineral or other contaminant in the sea salt if it is
setting off a migraine. It occurrs to me that a great many of the foods
that set off migraines have not only tyramine, but sulfides in them
(Such as cured meats, red wine, chocolate). Could there be traces of
sulfides in the sea salt?

my two pence...

'Lainie