SC - goose fat

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 19 23:14:01 PDT 2000

Bear commented:
> IIRC, they are both within the Saxon held lands between the 9th and 12th
> Centuries.  Also, one needs to consider that the use of bird fat, chicken
> fat in particular is common to Jewish cookery across Europe.

Saxons held the area we know as Hungary then? I thought just northern
Germany and parts of England. Time to go check those atlases.

Are you saying that the use of bird fat was common to the non-Jewish
folks also? I guess I just hadn't noticed this in the recipes I've
looked at.

Is the use of chicken kosher then? If this is the case I could see
where they might use more chicken fat since other folks might well
have been using pig fat. What about goose fat, then? Is this a
kosher item?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net