SC - guild goals, was budgeting question

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 21 12:36:06 PDT 2000

>Our cook's guild meets once a month formally. ...  Since we hope to decide
>whether or not to
>use the recipe in a future feast, we musts be conservative with cost, time
>and energy with most recipes so notes are compared.  Lady Olwen the Odd

I don't know the goals of my current barony's guild, but my former barony's
cooks guild made it clear that they were NOT intending to become the default
event cooks.  Indeed, I rarely saw any of them in the kitchen at events.  I
don't know what their original intention was, but the few meetings I was
able to attend seemed focused on regional food, I guess based on the faulty
theory that 'country cooking' was likely to be something like medieval
cooking.   They did have one meeting at which a man working translating and
redacting his way through a spanish manuscript lectured and provided
samples.  But that was an exception to their general style.

OTOH, I slowly came to know a different group of cooks who individually
worked with period recipes.  Alas, most of them couldn't spare the time to
join the guild as it was (I was hoping to change it from within) and though
a few tried this list, most felt the volume was too much to add to their
lives.  We depended on each other in the kitchen even though we had nothing
going on outside of that.

Bonne