SC - Lamb recipes

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Sat Oct 21 18:49:39 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Philippa Alderton" <phlip at morganco.net>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: SC - Lamb recipes

> 3. What is May butter? Is that a special name for a butter with more or
less
> fat than usual? Or would they have deliberately aged the butter for the
> better part of a year from the last May? (My reasoning on this being that
> Easter usually shows up well before May),

Having checked out Maggie Black's The Medieval Cookbook, and reading it
tonight, I can give you her definition of May butter (not that I would use
it in a recipe):

(pg. 131) For the Colic

"Another poultice recipe! This one is a good deal nastier than it sounds.
May butter was made for children by setting newly made, unsalted butter on
open platters in the sun for almost a fortnight. By that time it was
stinking rancid, colourless and devoid of vitamin A although it did contain
increased vitamin D as a result of the action of the sun's rays."

Beatrix of Tanet

- ---